The Mana World Original Server

Feel the mana power growing inside you!
It is currently 21 Nov 2017 16:19

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The Mana World + Evol Online + Land of Fire
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016 00:52 
Novice
Novice

Evidently, there is an now-and-then effort to merge the 3 worlds as 1 world map.
If that is so, TMW history has traveled from forking to merging.
Resources for isolated versions of TMW are not easy to get.
Forks do, however, act as a branch.

My experience with trying to merge a9t into l26a has brought to lesson 2 things alike are very different.
Good times.

Kairo, wherever you are.

No time to bother writing this post - Evol is alive; what is this - A painful memory.

Post subject: Re: The Mana World + Evol Online + Land of Fire
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016 17:07 
Borg Queen
Borg Queen

Great, more players in a game of power trips built on a stolen data. Well even if this is going to happen it will not last. The reason lies not in game, not in the server but in them - they rationale and motivation for doing that. They don't do it for fun, they want to rule over an online community - not for that community but for themselves. I think that even if the merge is going to happen there will be a tremendous fight for power and this will be the end of all these projects.

Regards.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016 14:27 
Novice
Novice

Hi, Platyna.
It is because you were inactive that I went over to Evol and the .Org server.
I am still frustrated, but I too admit to being power-hungry. I admit to that because... Maybe you will give me more power? I am, thus far a "CR1 Contributor" on .Org and somehow obtained "Developer" status on Evol in spite of my absence and rudeness.

I have stood up for you in discussions with Wushin, and asked for this project (that the .Org team sincerly believes to be a fork) be welcome for merging.
But it can not be denied that server data was lost because you failed to safeguard it. You were inept and lost out. That also frustrates me, a little, because maybe I can be in the GHP here?

I know there is not a chance I could become a part of the Committee by simply copping a charismatic and "competent" attitude. I've already tried that, and trolling.

That having been said,
Please be active here. Post once a week at least.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016 19:35 
Borg Queen
Borg Queen

I do reply posts, however, you and me - what we can do? All the community went after that propaganda and org domain. They forgotted about me and the values I tried to constitute.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016 05:00 
Novice
Novice

Last edited by bcs86 on 06 May 2017 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016 10:27 
Novice
Novice

bcs86 wrote:
I know there is not a chance I could become a part of the Committee by simply copping a charismatic and "competent" attitude. I've already tried that, and trolling.

It's still a meritocracy and anyone can be a part of it. o11c and the likes are no longer there. Valuable contributions earn developer status, developer status eventually earns a place on the Team. I agree that the past should stay in the past.

P.S.
Hello and I hope everybody is well :>

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016 11:02 
Peon
Peon

.:WildX:. wrote:
bcs86 wrote:

It's still a meritocracy and anyone can be a part of it. o11c and the likes are no longer there. Valuable contributions earn developer status, developer status eventually earns a place on the Team. I agree that the past should stay in the past.

P.S.

Honestly I don't think anyone will be any happier under Reid than they were under Platyna. The past can stay in the past but the future of The Mana World or I should say The Evol World looks really shitty. This is why everyone is leaving. If nobody else has the balls to say it publicly than I will. There is no way Reid can ever top the golden days of The Mana World.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016 20:51 
Novice
Novice

Johnny wrote:
bcs86 wrote:

P.S.

Honestly I don't think anyone will be any happier under Reid than they were under Platyna. The past can stay in the past but the future of The Mana World or I should say The Evol World looks really shitty. This is why everyone is leaving. If nobody else has the balls to say it publicly than I will. There is no way Reid can ever top the golden days of The Mana World.

You seem to be mistaken. There is no "under Reid". There is a Team in which Reid happens to be among the most senior developers. I'm not sure what you mean when you say everybody is leaving. If you mean GMs resigning, that was going to happen anyway. Prsm has returned. The dev team is the biggest it has been in years and activity on IRC is constant. Online numbers on the TMW servers are not the best, but they have been worse. I have met so many returning players in the past two months.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016 14:46 
Peon
Peon

You seem to be mistaken. There is no "under Reid". There is a Team in which Reid happens to be among the most senior developers. I'm not sure what you mean when you say everybody is leaving. If you mean GMs resigning, that was going to happen anyway. Prsm has returned. The dev team is the biggest it has been in years and activity on IRC is constant. Online numbers on the TMW servers are not the best, but they have been worse. I have met so many returning players in the past two months.

I can't see this as a "team" as mostly Reid and wushin call the shots. It is more like a monarchy. Furthermore, maybe a lot of people don't know how insensitive and heartless Reid and wushin are. If anyone even tries to contact wushin to ask him a question regarding The Evol World, if he isn't banning them, he's insulting them or losing his temper. Why would anyone want to play the game with a co owner who basically doesn't care to hear from their staff or users about potential issues or ask questions?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016 20:49 
Novice
Novice

Johnny wrote:

I can't see this as a "team" as mostly Reid and wushin call the shots. It is more like a monarchy. Furthermore, maybe a lot of people don't know how insensitive and heartless Reid and wushin are. If anyone even tries to contact wushin to ask him a question regarding The Evol World, if he isn't banning them, he's insulting them or losing his temper. Why would anyone want to play the game with a co owner who basically doesn't care to hear from their staff or users about potential issues or ask questions?

We vote on most issues and to be fair, I have yet to see Reid or wushin "calling the shots" without consulting everybody else first. You don't see this happening because we discuss it privately. Maybe you had some bad experiences with wushin, that might be because you're spitefully calling his project "The Evol World". The number of polls opened FOR the community on the forums is huge. I actually had to ask Reid to reduce the polls because I believe some issues are better discussed by us rather than the wider community (like a possible name change for the project, which never happened anyway).

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 08:59 
Novice
Novice

Last edited by bcs86 on 06 May 2017 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 13:06 
Novice
Novice

bcs86 wrote:
For the millionth time this is a "branch" not a fork.

I searched for the word "fork" in this thread and, prior to this message, you are the only person who has used the word since the first post.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 13:36 
Novice
Novice

Last edited by bcs86 on 06 May 2017 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016 05:13 
Borg Queen
Borg Queen

bcs86 wrote:
Platyna wrote:
I do reply posts, however, you and me - what we can do? All the community went after that propaganda and org domain. They forgotted about me and the values I tried to constitute.

Here is what we can do:
1: "Let the dead rest and the past remain in the past". I have brought past matters up with Wushin more than one time, he says he was not a member during the 2013 data leak, so we need to have a solid point of departure that we stand against what happened (no more abusing server commands!) yet NEW MEMBER needs to see us as a PROGRESSIVE force AND I ALONE WILL WORK FOR THAT NO MATTER HOW MANY YEARS IT TAKES. A9t has been around 10 years and grieves for old friends but can not go back to 2004. Fallen leaves do not return do their branches.

2: CARE I am doing this for the benefit of the Free/Libre community, so TMW will be compatible with the GNU Free Distribution Guidelines and free cultural works in general.

3: Are we a "branch" or a "fork" (in git terms)? Upstream has become incompatible with the code base. Manaplus has removed support for the eAthena RC1 derivative version. Mana client 5.1 should still operate.
Lesson being: without the code that runs a playable game this server will need to manage a local copy of the infrastructure or begin a new game entirely.
Alternatively, this server can be a "federated" branch providing free software and cultural works to anyone who uses 32x32 sized tiles and compatible graphics guidelines that they can "merge" into their project.
Here we have the freedom to test wildly new ideas using any GPL-compatable code-base insofar as joint work with other TMW branches might be undesired.

4: SSL/TLS: More people will use Platinum when they can verify that it is not man-in-the-middle.

5: Dream big. WE HAVE PLATINUM. Others need to rent servers and throw them away, or abide by some "cloud" corporation's restrictive terms of service that may cost USD 80,000 a year for simply hosting media.

6: Let's get to work.

I have downloaded a source copy of Mana 5.3. It is a version that might still operate with the server code used here. Alternatively I can rollback ManaPlus git repository to a point that had support for the old server.

I dislike C++, its syntax (such as "rvalue" and "lvalue") seem absurd from a RnRS perspective. C++ applications require many years of development before the code-base is usable and stable. (FLTK and Dillo have a good C++ release paradigm and workflow). The alternative is to fork GNU Freedink (a game in C that I have used for reference in learning SDL).

Don't mind all the chatter, I keep myself company by talking to myself :lol:

Ok, write to me to get an account on Platinum - I will make you one and you will establish the repos there etc. And I will recompile the server for x86_64.
But I will grant no powers at this moment - you can't be suprised, after what happened in 2014.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016 05:13 
Borg Queen
Borg Queen

bcs86 wrote:
Platyna wrote:

Here is what we can do:
1: "Let the dead rest and the past remain in the past". I have brought past matters up with Wushin more than one time, he says he was not a member during the 2013 data leak, so we need to have a solid point of departure that we stand against what happened (no more abusing server commands!) yet NEW MEMBER needs to see us as a PROGRESSIVE force AND I ALONE WILL WORK FOR THAT NO MATTER HOW MANY YEARS IT TAKES. A9t has been around 10 years and grieves for old friends but can not go back to 2004. Fallen leaves do not return do their branches.

2: CARE I am doing this for the benefit of the Free/Libre community, so TMW will be compatible with the GNU Free Distribution Guidelines and free cultural works in general.

3: Are we a "branch" or a "fork" (in git terms)? Upstream has become incompatible with the code base. Manaplus has removed support for the eAthena RC1 derivative version. Mana client 5.1 should still operate.
Lesson being: without the code that runs a playable game this server will need to manage a local copy of the infrastructure or begin a new game entirely.
Alternatively, this server can be a "federated" branch providing free software and cultural works to anyone who uses 32x32 sized tiles and compatible graphics guidelines that they can "merge" into their project.
Here we have the freedom to test wildly new ideas using any GPL-compatable code-base insofar as joint work with other TMW branches might be undesired.

4: SSL/TLS: More people will use Platinum when they can verify that it is not man-in-the-middle.

5: Dream big. WE HAVE PLATINUM. Others need to rent servers and throw them away, or abide by some "cloud" corporation's restrictive terms of service that may cost USD 80,000 a year for simply hosting media.

6: Let's get to work.

I have downloaded a source copy of Mana 5.3. It is a version that might still operate with the server code used here. Alternatively I can rollback ManaPlus git repository to a point that had support for the old server.

I dislike C++, its syntax (such as "rvalue" and "lvalue") seem absurd from a RnRS perspective. C++ applications require many years of development before the code-base is usable and stable. (FLTK and Dillo have a good C++ release paradigm and workflow). The alternative is to fork GNU Freedink (a game in C that I have used for reference in learning SDL).

Don't mind all the chatter, I keep myself company by talking to myself :lol:

Ok, write to me to get an account on Platinum - I will make you one and you will establish the repos there etc. And I will recompile the server for x86_64.
But I will grant no powers at this moment - you can't be suprised, after what happened in 2014.