The Mana World Original Server

Feel the mana power growing inside you!
It is currently 18 Aug 2017 22:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Audio recording hardware
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014 23:22 
Borg Queen
Borg Queen

I wish I could get some profesional recording equpment - I am singing in choir also as a solist...but my voice recorded on anything I have at hand lacks higher registers so it sounds weird.

Regards.

Post subject: Re: Open Source / Free software for music authoring
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014 01:36 

Platyna wrote:
I wish I could get some profesional recording equpment - I am singing in choir also as a solist...but my voice recorded on anything I have at hand lacks higher registers so it sounds weird.

Regards.

May I suggest a portable digital recorder such as those that you can find here, at about the best possible price in EEC. Most of them have a built in microphone couple, are rather handy, and easy to use. mp3 is good enough to listen and as a starting device, but if you plan to do some edition you will need lossless formats and higher sample rates. imo really good stuff begins at about 150 €/$ (pm me if you need more precise technical info):
Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/pl/mobilne_rejestratory_dzwieku.html
buy headphones separately, closed ones.
you may prefer an audio "card" which you can find in the same shop, they have generally good characteristics, but needs a computer and software to record Price climbs quite fast when you need more tracks:
Audacity good but better for editing than for recording, very basic and simple), Ardour, among the best for recording, mixing and editing and Rosegarden, Allows also midi synth, a really complete sequencer. all are free and opensource.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014 03:43 
Borg Queen
Borg Queen

Nard wrote:
Platyna wrote:

Regards.

May I suggest a portable digital recorder such as those that you can find here, at about the best possible price in EEC. Most of them have a built in microphone couple, are rather handy, and easy to use. mp3 is good enough to listen and as a starting device, but if you plan to do some edition you will need lossless formats and higher sample rates. imo really good stuff begins at about 150 €/$ (pm me if you need more precise technical info):
Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/pl/mobilne_rejestratory_dzwieku.html
buy headphones separately, closed ones.
you may prefer an audio "card" which you can find in the same shop, they have generally good characteristics, but needs a computer and software to record Price climbs quite fast when you need more tracks:
Audacity good but better for editing than for recording, very basic and simple), Ardour, among the best for recording, mixing and editing and Rosegarden, Allows also midi synth, a really complete sequencer. all are free and opensource.

Unfortunately even nikon D90 can't record coloratura soprano or even mezzosoprano well. I even tried to record our choir using it and it doesn't went well. :(

Regards.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014 09:49 

Platyna wrote:

Unfortunately even nikon D90 can't record coloratura soprano or even mezzosoprano well. I even tried to record our choir using it and it doesn't went well. :(

Regards.

Nikon D90 is a Camera. It's recording abilities have nothing to do with the devices I suggest, either in quality or in dynamics. (Even a real video camcorder cannot compete with them). A stereo recorder can fit most needs of many musicians or sound hunters. I practised it for live recording for a long time, before digital technologies became affordable to everyone. If you really need to balance a soloist group towards an ensemble, then there is no way to do it but with additional channels, which require additional hardware: mikes, their stands and cables, a mixer (someone has to stay behind it) or a multitrack device (may require post recording mixing).
Be aware that the setup complexity (and price :? ) and time grows very fast with the precision you want. Good closed headphones start at about 250€/$ (don't use earplugs for your ears sake).
I think that for your purposes, the Zoom H2N (http://www.thomann.de/fr/zoom_h2n.htm), or Zoom H4n,(http://www.thomann.de/fr/zoom_h4_n.htm) would be very good devices. You can start with stereo recording, and buy later an extra mike and acessories. When you are more familiar with audio recording and editing you can go further.

Post subject: Re: Audio recording hardware
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2014 13:51 

If you already own an Iphone or ipad, the Tascam im2 or im2X stereo mike system might be great. http://tascam.com/product/im2/